Commonwealth Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study in the UK are offered for citizens of developing Commonwealth countries .These scholarships are funded by the Department for International Development (DFID),with the aim of contributing to the UK’s international development aims and wider overseas interest,supporting excellence in the UK higher education and sustaining the principles of the commonwealth.


You can apply for a commonwealth scholarship for the following levels of study

  1. Master’s(1 year courses ONLY)
  2. PhD


To apply for these scholarships,you must:

  1. Be a Commonwealth citizen,refugee or British protected person
  2. Be permanently be residing in a Developing Commonwealth country
  3. Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in Sep/Oct 2016
  4. By October 2016,hold a first degree of atleast upper second class(2:1) honours standard,or a second class degree and a relevant postgraduate qualification(usually a master’s degree)



1. Up to 36 months’ support towards completion of a three-year full time doctoral post graduate qualification at an eligible UK university


1. 12 months’ support towards completion of a full time taught postgraduate qualification at an eligible UK university

2. The CSC funds one year Master’s programmes only,and does not fund MBAs

Scholarship worth

Each Scholarship provides

a. Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award(the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants,nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed)

b. Approved tuition and examination fees

c. Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,o34 per month,or £1,268 per month for those at university in the London metropolitan area(rates quoted 2015-2016 levels)

d. Thesis grants towards the cost of preparing a thesis or dissertation,where applicable

e. Warm clothing allowance

f. Study travel grant towards the cost of study-related travel within the UK or overseas

g. For PhD scholars,fieldwork grant towards the cost of fieldwork undertaken overseas (usually the cost of one economy class return airfare to your fieldwork location)

h. For PhD scholars,paid mid-term visit(airfare) to your home country unless you have claimed(or intend to claim) spouse and/or  child allowances during your scholarship,or have received a return airfare to your home country for firework)

i. If your scholarship is atleast 18 months long the following family allowances:

  1.  i. Spouse allowance of £222 per month if you and your spouse are living together at the same address in the UK(unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship)
  2. Child allowance of £222 per month for the first child and £109 per month for the second and the third child under the age of 16,if you are accompanied by your spouse and child and they are living in the same address in the UK
  3. If you are widowed,divorced,or a single parent(irrespective of the length of your scholarship),child allowance of  £444 per month for the first child and £09 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16,if you are accompanied by your spouse and child and they are living in the same address in the UK



You must apply to one of the following nominating bodes in the first instance-the CSC does not accept direct application for their scholarships:

  1. National nominating agencies-this is the main route of application. Click here for a list of national nominating agencies with contact details
  2. Selected universities/university bodies,which can nominate their own academic staff,click here for a list of nominating universities/university bodies
  3. Selected non-governmental organisations and charitable bodies

All applications must be made through your nominating body in your home country.Each nominating body is responsible for its own selection process.You must check with your nominating body for their specific advice and rules for applying and for their own closing date for the application

For more information:


Source:Commonwealth official site

do you have any questions or need clarification? Feel free to share them in the comment thread below.


Leave a Reply